Saturday, September 1, 2012

SYS Saturday & A Comparison


Hello Everyone!  If you've been following me for any length of time now you know that once in a while (a bit erractically) that I have a "Stir Your Stash" post.  Better known as SYS Saturday as that is when I post.  Below is the layout for you this time.  I pulled a card from a little while back to do this time because I wanted to bring your attention to something.  Here's the layout.


Now look at the two pictures below.  I will be the first to admit that my coloring and cutting techniques haven't always been that great (still need a little work sometimes).  Case in point.  Picture number one is before I "tuned" my techniques.  I have become so particular now in the way I cut images out because I want my projects to be the best that I can make them.  So, look at the differences in the two cards below.  I no longer have this card in my stash so I corrected any areas I didn't like using a photo program just so you could see how much better a card looks when it is cut and colored properly.  Click on the pics to get a larger view.

Notice the uneven cutting a coloring
Touched up as if cut and colored properly


 See how much better the second pictures looks?  I have discovered over time that there are ways to make your cut images look more even if you want to take the time.  I have listed them below for you.

  1.  Turn your images over after the initial cutting.  I find that looking at it from the backside without all the "noise" from the image allows me to see the imperfections in my trimming.  I like to use my tiny nippers to take care of any "pointy" areas and I am very careful not to trim too much.
  2. Do your trimming over a contrasting background.  It helps bring out the areas that need to be "tweeked".
  3. Try smoothing out the edges by sanding lightly until you are happy with it.   I found a set of emery style sanders in a kit that I just love.  You can find these at Michael's or Hobby Lobby or Archiver's if you live close enough to these stores.  If not, you can try Joann's they may carry it as well.
  4. You can also use your ink pads or daubers to sponge the edges in the same color as your outline.  Whether you use this technique or not will depend on the image you are using and whether you leave any white around the edges or not.  There are those who prefer a little white around their stamped images.  This really (as far as I am concerned) is a matter of preference and the image that is being trimmed out.
  5. Always have a pair of reading glasses in your craft kit.  Even you young ladies can benefit from this.  You can pick these up anywhere.  I even have a pair I got from the dollar store.  Make sure you look at some small print before buying them of course as everyone's peepers are different.
 I am still perfecting my coloring techniques so I don't have any real advice for you on that other than:
  1. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Every person has a certain way they like to color and a preferred medium which they like to use.  The best way to get better is to practice.
  2. All markers are not created equal.  You can definitely benefit from a class on Copics (alcohol based markers) or an art class that will teach about color and blending (or check out books from your local library like I did).   Quality is important, so keep that in mind.
  3. Buy quality pencils or watercolor pencils (Crayola is for kids).  I like the different sets that Dick Blick Art store offers.  If you prefer watercolor pencils you can invest in an aqua-painter or a blender pen.  They're not too expensive and they will also work with your ink pads.  If you can't afford a good set of pencils or markers right away at least get the aqua-painter and/or blender pen to use with your ink pads (Just push down on the lid then open and extract color from the lid).

There is a lot more that could be said on these subjects and I welcome any comments from all of you.  In the meantime, try the layout above and have a great week!



1 comment:

  1. Hello Trisha
    Great card, I love the image and great tips on cutting out, thank you for sharing.
    Just dropped over from Eclectic Ellapu - and became your newest follower.
    Hugs
    Suzie xx

    ReplyDelete